3 Guests, 0 Users
bulletWelcome, Guest. Please login or register.
bulletAugust 23, 2017, 02:16:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

category Author Topic: Spammers?  (Read 708 times)

Offline Maulkin

message icon
Spammers?
« on: November 10, 2016, 02:26:39 AM »
There seem to be a lot recently. I'm thinking we either,

A: Move to more effective means of screening, such as asking common questions that a computer can't know but a human can figure out (eg, "What color are Pikachu's cheeks?" "What did that guy yell before kicking the other guy into the pit in that Spartan movie?" "What does John Snow know?"), or perhaps a pictographic identification ('select the pictures that contain a dog/flower/ship'), or simply manually OK each account. The last one may be easiest, as we probably won't have many real people flooding in any time soon.

Offline Cryshalsing

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Spammers?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 11:22:06 AM »
There seem to be a lot recently. I'm thinking we either,

A: Move to more effective means of screening, such as asking common questions that a computer can't know but a human can figure out (eg, "What color are Pikachu's cheeks?" "What did that guy yell before kicking the other guy into the pit in that Spartan movie?" "What does John Snow know?"), or perhaps a pictographic identification ('select the pictures that contain a dog/flower/ship'), or simply manually OK each account. The last one may be easiest, as we probably won't have many real people flooding in any time soon.

Probably gonna move to an email verification.  I may just ask TGU what they use.  I know it was a huge problem when they first set up the boards over there.

Offline Maulkin

message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 02:58:18 PM »
This is getting annoying; can you appoint a "Spam Mod" or two, specifically to take on this horde of spammers?

Offline Raven

• Administrator
    • ShadowGuard: DragonLore
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 11:44:41 PM »
Shouldn't have anymore problems with spammers. I just set the registration to Admin approval. So unless we accidentally approve a registration that is a spammer, we should be good.

Offline Sasquatch

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 01:28:22 AM »
Here's another option.

;D :P

Offline Maulkin

message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 05:05:50 AM »
'Guests' are also hovering around 25-35... which I'm sure are bots. Any way to get rid of 'em?

Offline Cryshalsing

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 09:39:12 AM »
'Guests' are also hovering around 25-35... which I'm sure are bots. Any way to get rid of 'em?

No, not if you want new members.  Guests can't post anyway.