News: Finished upgrading the Forum. Everything 'should' be working now. If you find something wrong (like with a template) or anything else, please let us know.

1 Guest, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2017, 02:44:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Defend yourself with a gun in Australia? Think again.  (Read 11 times)

Offline Sasquatch

• Administrator
Defend yourself with a gun in Australia? Think again.
« on: October 11, 2017, 01:56:13 AM »
I put this up in the other forum, but thought folks here might like to know.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Those who are familiar with Australian gun laws will know that self protection is not a 'valid reason' to either obtain a firearms licence, nor to acquire a firearm. Yeah. Okay. But the police and firearms officials have raised it to a whole new level of moronity.

You might or might not wish to read this article

So, a farmer on a rural property wakes up around o'dark thirty to find someone trying to get into the house. The perp is armed with a knife and a large chunk of wood.

Farmer grabs unloaded firearm from his safe and tells the wife to ring 000 (Aus version of 911).

He doesn't point the rifle (a .22) at the perp but the perp gives in anyway. He gets the moron into his car and drives down the road where he meets up with the police. Perp is then taken to the clink.

Later that day, police come out and sieze all his firearms which he had for pest destruction. (In Australia you're allowed to protect your livestock, but not your family. Go figure).

After some weeks of legal wrangling, no charges will be laid against the farmer. But his firearms licence is still under review and he hasn't got his firearms back. His wife has also been told that she cannot store her firearms at the home.

You see, apparently, in Aus, only police are allowed to detain criminals by the use of firearms. Even if it takes the police half an hour or more to get to the scene.

It was stated in another article that the police basically told him that it would have been better if he'd actually allowed himself to be attacked.

Yes, that's right. A man with a wife and three young children is supposed to let himself get attacked rather than defend himself, his family and his property.  There again, I can see their reasoning. They don't want to put the guy who draws the chalk outline of your body out of a job, do they? 

And some people wonder why I get so antsy about any attempt to chisel away at American's gun rights. Because I know the sort of (bleep) it leads to.

Oh, yeah. Of course after Las Vegas whiners over here are demanding a further tightening of our firearms laws.

I swear, if VY Canis Majoris was a cluebat it still wouldn't be big enough for some of these sludge-suckers.